Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

COASTAL FALL THEME

Normally, I would hesitate to stray far from the traditional Fall/Halloween color theme when decorating my house.  I stepped outside the traditional box this year and got my new craft room (which will be revealed in a post soon!) buzzing with a coastal color pumpkin painting extravaganza!  After perusing Pinterest for a few days and taking a trip to Michael's and the Dollar Store, my creative juices started to flow.  First, I mixed up a homeade batch of chalk paint using some blue color sample paint I had leftover and adding plaster of paris and water.  Before going into any detail of what products I used, I wanna show you my favorite pumpkin creation.



This was done using a plastic orange pumpkin from Michael's, which was thankfully on sale the day I bought it (sheesh those things must have gold flecks in them or something!).  I bought a roll of the cheap rhinestone mesh ribbon and cut it into long single wide strips for the spider webbing.  I glued that on with a glue gun.  I had this plastic halloween spider, which was black.  I painted it with silver paint and added glitter to the body (it doesn't show up in this pic very well) and also touched the legs with blue sparkle elmers glue.  Then to finish my coastal creation, I painted the stem with some brown craft paint and after it dried I rubbed some gold rub n'buff on the stem to highlight it.  So I ended with a somewhat coastal classy version of creepy.

But I didn't stop there - oh no!! My craft room looked like some sort of weird pumpkin cult for about a week.  I just started painting all these little guys with different coastal colors that I had (lie! In addition to what I had,  I went and bought a few fun new colors for this project).  By mixing different finishes like metallic, pearl, chalk and glossy, I think it added some texture and interest to the displays.


I Wrapped My LED Candles in Burlap
This  Effect is Done by Sprinkling With Epsom Salts




I Added Twine and a Burlap Bow

Brushed with ModPodge and Sprinkled With Epsom Salts
Now I can enjoy the Fall without giving up my coastal colors for an entire season.  If I was really brave, I'd extend the theme to Christmas.....maybe I'm not that brave yet...

From my View From The Fog,
                          Deb



No comments:

Post a Comment